[amd-zlrecipe-recipe:1]This healthy recipe for Pesto Sauce cuts the calories from oil by 30% but you will never miss it from the taste.
- Add the cup of chicken broth to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil until broth reduces to half a cup. Set aside to cool.
- Spread the pine nuts on a foil lined baking sheet. Place the sheet in a 450 degree oven and keep a close eye on the pine nuts, removing them the instance they have turned evenly golden – approx 5 – 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile make your zucchini “pasta” by cutting off the ends of the zucchini and using a spiralizer to make spirals. If you don’t have a spiralizer either use a mandolin to cut very thin slices of your zucchini or vegetable peeler to peel your zucchini in to ribbons. Set aside.
- Now on to your pesto. Add the basil leaves, parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts, 6 tablespoons of the olive oil, garlic cloves and the reduced chicken stock to a high speed blender. Either using the machines pulse function or turning the machine on and off rapidly, pulse the ingredients several times until coarsely chopped. Scrape down the work bowl. Then process continuously until the sauce is smooth. If the pesto seems too thick, pulse in a little hot water.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the spiralized zucchini and toss to lightly cook. Add the pesto and sundried tomatoes, toss through ensuring “pasta” is coated well with the pesto sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese to serve.